Office Manager/Administrative Assistant
The Office Manager/Administrative Assistant is an integral administrative support position within Friends of Organ Mountains Desert Peaks, a nonprofit with the mission to enrich our community and diverse cultures through advocacy, conservation and restoration of the Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks National Monument as a premier example of America’s National Conservation Lands. The job is a great opportunity for those interested in nonprofit, conservation, or outdoors. This staff person works closely with the Executive Director based in Las Cruces, NM.
This is a part-time position providing between 10-20 hours per week. Additional Hours are possible contingent upon funding.
The Office Manager is responsible for the overall administrative operations of the organization. The position requires a highly organized and detail-oriented individual with multi-tasking capability, skill and aptitude in all aspects of office administration and management. The Office Manager reports directly to the Executive Director and also serves as the Executive Director’s primary administrative assistant.
1) Overview: Manage the many aspects of the Friends office, a great variety of work tasks. Handle computer software including Email, Quickbooks, Excel and Database (Etapestry).
2) Office Management: Manage office, representing the Friends to the public through phone, email and personal contact. Utilize and help maintain office equipment including computers and software, printer, etc., and (when needed) work as a point of contact for service providers. Procure office supplies, staying alert to needs. Pay bills and keep related records. Perform general office support duties including copying, word processing and business errands. Take minutes for Board meetings and keep related records. Support Executive Director, staff and volunteers. Supervise the work of volunteer assistants to leverage and ensure productivity.
3) Provide Program Information: Interface with and educate volunteers, donors and the general public about programs.
4) Registrations and Donations: Register volunteers, track donations, maintain up to date database/records, QuickBooks and record data accurately. Prepare bank deposits, verifying and balancing receipts, and making deposits as needed. Create and deliver thank you letters to contributors and volunteers, etc. Update information as needed, including maintenance of committee information, maintain up to date database and records, and regular review of various publication needs.
5) Database, Website and Computer Support: Act as point of contact with database and website service providers. Develop website updates through WordPress and Etapestry. Troubleshoot internal issues related to individual workstations as necessary.
6) Volunteer Relations & Programs Assistance: Supervise and coordinate data entry related to project volunteers and group volunteer signups, and project waivers. Track volunteer hours. Provide project related materials to volunteers. Work with volunteers to gather reports of work accomplished and work needed.
7) Bookkeeping: Manage QuickBooks company file, maintain Friends financial records. Manage employee payroll and track annual and sick leave. Manage federal and state payroll tax. Collaborate with the Treasurer and accounting services.
8) Grants and Agreements: Collaborate with the Executive Director to prepare and submit grant proposals. Track grant project funds. Track grant activities, expenditures, deliverables and deadlines. Perform budget reconciliations for grant payments. Maintain collaborative and effective relationships with agency personnel, program staff and grant providers. Prepare and submit final financial reporting to grantors.
- Must show a commitment to support and advance the Friends’ Mission.
- Experience in bookkeeping and QuickBooks.
- Demonstrated experience and excellent skills in:
- effective written and verbal communication
- proficiency in Microsoft Office programs including Word and Excel
- office management and administration
- database management
- attention to detail and high level of accuracy.
- Ability to work on diverse teams or with a diverse range of people.
- Ability to work well under pressure and effectively handle difficult and sensitive situations and relationships
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Well-developed sense of humor.
To apply: please send your resume, contact information, cover letter, writing sample and three references to Ben Gabriel, Executive Director, email@example.com. Compensation negotiable. All applications are to be submitted via email. To learn more about us, please visit www.organmountainsdesertpeaks.org. The position will remain open until filled.
Friends of Organ Mountains Desert Peaks is an equal opportunity employer and actively works to ensure fair and equal treatment of its employees regardless of differences based on culture, socioeconomic status, race, marital or family situation, gender, age, ethnicity, religious beliefs, physical ability, or sexual orientation.